Monday, December 24, 2012

Coon Balls

Before I even begin, I must let you know that this recipe is from my dear coworker, Stephanie. The first time she made these coon balls (aka sausage balls), I fell in love. And by in love, I mean I ate a ton of these. I just couldn't stop. They were that addicting. I'm pretty sure she put crack in these little balls. These delicious morsels have popped up in the office for the past couple years around the holidays and this year, I decided to surprise her and the office with a batch right out of the oven. I thought it would be nice change from the sweet treats I normally bring. Plus, who can say no to a sausage ball?

These coon balls could not be easier. Four ingredients. Well, I really say three because I don't think water counts, but if you think it's four, that okay too. I don't judge. Okay, are you ready for the ingredient list? Here we go. Bisquick, breakfast sausage and sharp cheddar cheese. Oh, and water too. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. Just mix everything together, add some water until it comes together and is moist and you are good to go. Roll into balls and bake. That's it. These are the perfect little bite. You can't really see the sausage, but it's totally there. These coon balls have just the perfect amount of sausage, cheese and biscuit. So delicious! I can't explain it, you just have to try them. One batch may seem like enough, but trust me, it won't be. These babies will go fast and I promise you, you won't be able to just eat one. 


see, I told you there were only three ingredients

log o meat

whip it good

up close of the meat mixture

roll into balls

bake and enjoy!
Coon Balls

3 1/2 cups Bisquick
1 pound sausage (Jimmy Dean)
8oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese (must use sharp!)
enough water to moisten (about 1/4 cup)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix Bisquick, sausage and cheese together until combined. Then, add water until the mixture is moist and has come together. Roll into bite size balls (about 1 to 1 1/2 inch wide) and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment, non-stick foil or a silpat. Bake until lightly golden brown, about 20 minutes. Depending on size, they may need longer or a little shorter.  Just keep an eye on them. If they are lightly golden brown, they are done.



These coon balls can be cooked and then frozen to be ready for anytime! Just defrost, warm and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if I could add a beaten egg with some of the water? I will have to try it. Thank you

    ReplyDelete