Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix

I must be going crazy because I thought I had shared this fabulous recipe with you months ago, but it looks like I never did. Oops. I know many have you been waiting for this and I have apparently been holding back. I promise you it was worth the the wait though! This ranch seasoning mix is just like the packets you get in the store, but no added salt, preservatives or any of that funky stuff. Don't get me wrong, the packets at the store are great - easy to grab, add to your favorite recipe and boy are they tasty. But, they also can add up. I think one packet alone is $1.50. It doesn't seem like much now, but if you use ranch seasoning quite often, it can get expensive! So, I thought to myself - I bet I can make my own at home and in a big batch so I always have it on hand (especially for my all time favorite creamy dill dressing and slow cooked pesto ranch chicken (coming soon!)!). Why not right? If I could make my own taco seasoning, I knew I could make my own ranch seasoning mix too!

This seasoning mix could not be any easier to throw together. Plus, you probably have most of the spices in your pantry already. The only thing I needed to get was dried buttermilk and onion flakes. Dried buttermilk should not be too hard to find, but if you can not locate in a store near you, you can always order if off Amazon (and for a good price too). Most stores sell it these days though. Especially in the baking isle. That is where I found mine! Also, onion flakes are part of the normal spice display at your local store, so that shouldn't be too hard to find either. If for some reason the onion flakes are difficult to find, you can leave them out, or double the onion powder. Either way, it will still be just as good. Mix it up, shake it up and you are good to go. If you like your mix nice and smooth, you can grind it up in a blender or food processor. I left mine as is, but that's because I like to see all the spices. Blend if you want, blend if you don't. This ranch seasoning will be good for about three months, but I am almost certain you will you use it all before then. If not, gift the rest away. Everyone is sure to love it!

If you want to make ranch dressing using this mix, add one tablespoon of the seasoning to 1/3 cup mayo and 1/3 cup water. Mix to combine and enjoy. If you want to lighten things up, use light mayo or even your favorite Greek yogurt!







Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix (Gimme Some Oven)

 

1/3 cup dry buttermilk
2 Tbsp. dried parsley
1 1/2 tsp. dried dill weed
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. dried onion flakes
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. dried chives
1 tsp. salt (if desired)



Whisk all ingredients together until blended. If you want a more finely-ground seasoning mix, you can pulse the mixture in a food processor or blender until it reaches your desired consistency.


 3 Tablespoons of this mix = 1 packet of the store-bought seasoning mix

No comments:

Post a Comment