Sunday, November 30, 2014

Sausage Crescent Breakfast Squares

After all that holiday cooking and eating, I bet you are looking for something quick and easy to throw together. Am I right? Don't get me wrong, I love cooking, but after cooking for hours and hours, I want something that is going to be super yummy. And super quick and easy. Especially for breakfast. If I had to choose a meal of the day that I could always eat, it would be breakfast. It can be sweet. It can be savory. It can be eaten any time of the day. Perhaps I am the only one that feels this way, but breakfast is seriously universal and you can almost make something that everyone will love. Thus, here comes the sausage crescent breakfast squares. My mouth is already filling up with saliva!

My amazing co-worker and friend, Stephanie, has made these many times before. When she brings them to the office, I can never seem to just have one. I always find myself going back for more. And then more. And then more again. Before I know it, I've already eaten half the pan she brought to work. Oops. I know I should stop at just one square, but they are just that good. And they couldn't be easier to make. I often shy away from super easy recipes, but lately, they have been my jam. Just because they are simple, doesn't mean they aren't good. Plus, between work and school, easy recipes are exactly what I need these days. Last weekend I was struggling to figure out what to make for Saturday morning breakfast. I was pouring through all my cookbooks to find something new, but nothing was jumping out at me. I have my few go to things, but I wanted something different. Then it came to me- these breakfast squares! 

Let me tell you just how easy these breakfast squares are to make. All you need are two cans of your favorite crescent rolls, one pound of breakfast sausage and an eight ounce package of cream cheese. Three ingredients to total deliciousness. Stephanie says her favorite way is to use the store brand crescent rolls, but you can use whatever you like. I even saw that Trader Joes makes their own now too! I decided to try to cut down on the calories a bit (you know me) and used low fat breakfast sausage and light cream cheese. You don't have to do that, but I could not even tell a difference between how mine turned out and Stephanie's. To get started, lay out one can of rolls into a flat layer. Take a 9x13 pan and press the dough into the pan. It does not have to be perfect. Just make it fit as best as you can. You'll want to do the same with the other can of rolls, but don't place it in the pan just yet. Next, you'll want to cook up the sausage, drain the excess fat and then stir in the cream cheese. Once everything is all nice and melted, give it a good stir and then pour the mixture over the dough in the pan. Then, take the top layer of rolls and place on top. That's it! See, told you it was super easy. I wouldn't lie to you.

From this point, you can pop the pan in the fridge and cook later. If you want to enjoy this goodness right away, just pop the pan right into the oven and cook for about 13-15 minutes, or until the top is nice and golden brown. If you took the pan straight out of the fridge, it may need an extra five minutes or so in the oven. Just keep an eye on it. Once it's ready to go, you can enjoy right away. Just give them a couple of minutes to cool so you don't burn your tongue. Eat them hot. Eat them cold. Eat them on the way to work. No matter how you eat them, you are sure to love them as much as I do!


how good do those look?!


Sausage Crescent Breakfast Squares (the famous Stephanie!)

2 8oz cans of your favorite brand of Crescent rolls 
1 pound breakfast sausage (Jimmy Dean is best!)
1 8oz package cream cheese (you can use light too!)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Take one of the cans of crescent rolls and pat out into a rectangle big enough to fit in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. It does not have to be perfect, just about that size. Place in the pan. Take the other can and do the same thing. Except, put this aside. This will be the top to the squares. Then, cook the breakfast sausage until cooked and brown. Drain excess fat and then return sausage back to the pan. Add in the cream cheese and stir until melted and combined. Once the cream cheese has melted, pour the mixture on top of the rolls in the bottom of your pan. Then, place the other rectangle of dough on top. Place in the oven and cook for about 13-15 minutes until golden brown and your kitchen smells amazing. Enjoy!



 Breakfast never tasted so good!



No comments:

Post a Comment