Thursday, July 21, 2011

Green Pizza

Perhaps "green pizza" might not be the best way to describe the pizza I made last night (kinda sounds like it's moldy pizza, which is not the case!), but boy was it good.  It was so good, I even made one this morning to take to work for lunch. Last night I had to think of a quick recipe I could make using the seriously garlicy and seriously delicious pesto I had just made using herbs from my patio garden. And who doesn't love pizza? You can add what you like, and take off what you don't like. Plus, it has cheese. Ooey gooey cheese. Can you tell I like cheese?

I haven't had real pizza in FOREVER (like how the boy on "The Sandlot" says it - foooorrreeeevverrrrr. Please tell me you know what I am talking about and that I don't sound like a crazy lady), so I have been trying to figure out how I can still enjoy pizza but not have it go all straight to my rear end (honestly, who can just have one slice? If you can, I am jealous). During lunch this week at work, one of my coworkers mentioned she was going to try to make a hawaiian pizza with pita bread - what a fabulous idea! I have heard of that before, but it has been so long since I've tried to make a pizza, I must have totally forgot.  I was going to attempt to make a grilled pizza with whole wheat dough from Trader Joes, but I like the pita bread idea way better (grilled pizza to be attempted later!). It's personal size and I could eat the whole pizza and not feel guilty!

Then began the digging in the fridge to see what toppings I had for my pizza - soy hot dogs, corn and strawberries. Now those ingredients would make an awful pizza. So off to Trader Joes I went to get some real pizza toppings - mushrooms, cheese and tomatoes. They did not have whole wheat pita bread, so I bought whole wheat middle eastern flatbread. Looks just like a pita, but no pocket. They also had some whole wheat nann bread that looked like it would make a great crust too. Doesn't all of that sound delicious? I have been trying to get in more vegetables in any way I can, so I did not add any meat to this (prosciutto or some turkey Italian sausage would be delicious on this too), but like I said, pizza is a blank canvas - add what you like, don't add what you don't like. Just don't forget - if you make fresh pesto, you have to try making a green pizza!



Green Pizza
Ingredients

1 whole wheat pita bread (or equivalent)
1 tablespoon pesto
1/4 cup shredded low fat mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup sliced tomato
Non-stick cooking spray

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and place pita on the sheet. Top with pesto, cheese and toppings. Bake for about 8-10 minutes, or until cheese is hot and bubbly.



Super easy and super delicious. Not to mention I did a calorie count on this bad boy and it comes out to be just around 300 calories - not bad for a delicious personal pizza. Although I just had the pizza by itself, pairing it with a nice salad and glass of vino does not sound too bad either. Mmm, vino and pizza. That is a combination hard to say no to.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome how low cal that is. I'm trying homemade pizza dough this weekend. Too bad my husband likes bacon and full fat cheese. Haha! I'm excited for your grilled pizza recipe. Still need to make that pesto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to try to make homemade pizza dough too, so I am excited to see how yours turns out. I also want to try to make my own pitas and hummus, mmm!

    ReplyDelete