Monday, September 19, 2011

Poached Eggs

I am so behind on blogging, it's not even funny. I am finally starting to feel back to normal again, so I will be catching up soon, promise. Lots of recpies and lots of new product reviews that I think you will love too.


I am one of those people who loves, LOVES eggs. They are a great source of protein and you can do so many things with them - scrambled, hard boiled, quiche, egg while omelets. The list is endless! It's also one of the best ways I get in my rule of having breakfast for dinner at least once a week. I guess cereal counts too, but eh. I could eat three cups of cereal and still be hungry in a couple of hours. Eggs are way better and keep me fuller, longer. One of my favorite ways to eat them is "fried" (I do this with a non-stick pan and non-stick spray) or poached. As much as I love them poached and often order them this way when I go out for breakfast (mmm eggs benedict), I have never ever made them at home for myself. I am not sure why I was so scared of making them at home, but it was so much easier then I thought it would be. All you need is simmering water, a splash of vinegar (don't let this scare you) and eggs. Super easy and in less than a couple of minutes, you have the perfect poached egg - cooked whites and ooey gooey runny yolk. I love soaking up that yolk with bread.  Okay, I am salavating now. Are you a yolk person too?

I forgot to take a picture of the ingredients, but all you need is eggs, simmering water and vinegar.

you missed the swirling vortex of water and vinegar

looks gross, but trust me, the eggs are delicious!

poached eggs - complete!

I didn't over cook them, YES! Look at that runny yolk. YUM.

Now, I haven't done this before, but I think it is time. PRODUCT REVIEW! What goes better with bread and eggs then sausage right? I have come to love chicken sausage, especially with all the flavors they have out there these days - everything from savory to sweet. There are so many brands, but these ones from Al Fresco are super yummy. And even better, they are cheaper then some of the other brands you have in your local grocery store. They ring in at about 130 calories for one and they are loaded with protein. You've got to scope our your grocery store and see if they have these and try them out. They are the perfect accompaniment for your breakfast and they cook up in no time (they are fully cooked so all you have to do is brown them up and heat them up!)

gluten free and all natural!

yummy breakfast! With two eggs, sausage and a half a pita, this filling meal came in at about 350 calories. Not too shabby!

Poached Eggs

Eggs
Splash of vinegar


Heat up a pan of water (make sure to use a pan that will be large enough to hold the amount of eggs you will be poaching) until lightly simmering. You do not want the water to be boiling. This will cause you eggs to fall apart. Once the water is simmering add a splash of vinegar to the pan. This will help ensure that the eggs form into the right shape and not end up swimming all over the pan. 

Crack each egg into a small cup or ramekin. This will make it easier to get the egg into the pan and to check for any bad eggs. Using a wooden spoon swirl the water making a small vortex and slowly add the egg into the center of the swirling water. Continue for the rest of the eggs.  After about a minute, move the egg around gently to make sure it does not stick to the bottom of the pan. After about 3-4 minutes you will have a perfectly cooked egg. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.



See, it's not as scary as you thought, right? Now get poaching and soaking up that yolk!

No comments:

Post a Comment