Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Best Guacamole Ever

This is hands down the BEST GUACAMOLE EVER. Yes, it requires all caps and yes I am shouting this at the top of my lungs. My awesome friend and roomie from college, Leah (hiiiii Leah!), introduced me to this recipe. I can't remember which year she started making this (we lived together for three years), but I have never forgotten about it and make it all the time. Seriously, that good. It's so addictive you may just eat the whole bowl. Again, not kidding. Leah makes tons of good things (hello tamale pie and tempura veggies and shrimp!), but this one is one of my favorite things she makes. Now that I think about it, I bet this would have went well with our quesadillas with cheese rings and jalapenos! Aww, college memories. But I digress.

The best part of it all, is that this one is so simple and has a secret ingredient that will leave you thinking, "why did I not come up with this?!". All you will need is avocado, garlic, salt, pepper, lime juice and queso fresco. Have you figured out the secret ingredient yet? QUESO FRESCO! It's salty, creamy and crumby and its the best addition to guacamole. Most stores carry this next to all the other cheeses, so you should not have any issues finding this in your local supermarket. Leah mentioned to me recently that she also adds chopped tomato and red onion. I am not sure how I forgot she did that, but you can add it if you like it and leave it out if you don't. Next time I make this, I will be adding those two things. Love onion and tomato.

Beware, there is no real recipe for this one. If you have only a few avocados, mash them up and then add the rest of the ingredients to your taste and liking. Usually, I do five avocados, about three to four limes (juiced), four cloves garlic, chopped (give or take a clove), 3/4 of the queso fresco (crumbled) and then salt and pepper to taste. If you like more lime, add more lime. If you like more garlic, add more garlic (I usually do this and then it's a hair too garlicky for some people, but we all know how much I love to keep the vampires away). Mash and mix it all up and give it a taste test with some chips. Or your finger. I've been known to do that too.Make adjustments as needed for flavor and let it chill for at least 30 minutes before serving (this is my rule). It allows the flavors to meld and get all guacamole-y. Just remember, when you do this, make sure to put some plastic wrap on top of the guacamole (touching it), so that it limits the brownness from happening. This happens when air touches the avocados. It doesn't change the taste, it just looks unappetizing. If this happens, just mix it all up and no one will know. Maybe add a squeeze or two of lime juice too. This will freshen and brighten it up.

I am seriously drooling now. Leah, let's have a reunion and eat lots of guacamole and tamale pie (sans foil). Deal?

mmm, guacamole ingredients. I could probably eat the queso fresco by itself

mashing those avocados!

my avocados were a little stringy (for what reason I don't know), so I pureed them in the blender. Seemed to do the trick to smooth it all out.

See, told you I liked garlic


I was too excited with eating the guacamole, that I forgot to take a picture of the final product. Oops! I am not sure why my avocados were stringy, but usually I just mash them up and keep them in more of a chunky consistency. If you like it smooth, go ahead and puree it, but that is totally up to you. Regardless, you've got to make this and try it for yourself. I know I say this a lot, but once you try this you will become just as addicted to it as I am.

Here is a tip for ripening avocados fast. Take your avocados and place them in a brown paper bag with apples and/or bananas. Close the bag and place it in a dark area, such as a cupboard. Within a day or two, you avocados will be perfectly ready for scooping and guac making! Note - this make take a day or two longer (or it may go faster) pending on how hard or un-ripe your avocados are. With my experience, it's usually one to two days before they are good to use!

No comments:

Post a Comment