Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pea Salad

Let my first start off by saying that this is my grandma's recipe. That and I have only met a few people, other than those in our family, that really enjoy this salad. Wait, can we even really call it a salad? It doesn't have lettuce and it's definitely not a healthy selection. Although, it does have peas, so it has to be healthy, right? Sure. I try to tell myself that as I shove a spoonful of this in my mouth.

It's super easy and super simple. It's canned petite peas, real mayo (yes, real. none of that olive oil or light stuff here), green onions and swiss singles cheese. I know what you are thinking, singles cheese? Gross. Ya, it's not the best, but there is some chemical reaction between the mayo and the cheese that over time, creates this gooey sauce. I know you are probably grossed out right now, but please tell me you will try this at your next holiday or family gathering. It's a tradition in my family and it's always at the table during Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. My sister has even been known to make it when she is in a funk. This pea salad has magical powers. How could you not love it! 


I've always wanted to submit this to Paula Deen. I think she would love this one. I know it doesn't have butter, but it has mayo. Which I'm pretty sure is her second love.


5 ingredients or less

you must use young small peas!

key step - draining the peas

tower of cheese

my sister took this picture.

add all ingredients and mix. don't mix too hard or you'll squish the peas. no one likes squished peas.

yum!
Pea Salad
3 cans young petite peas, well drained
rounded 1/2 cup of real mayonnaise
1 bunch green onions chopped (whites included)
1 package swiss cheese singles, unwrapped and chopped into cubes

Drain three cans of peas in a colander for about 30 minutes. This is important to not add any extra moisture or liquid to the salad. Unwrap the singles, stack and chop into little cubes. Set aside. Cut up the green onions and set aside. Once the peas are well drained, add them into a large bowl and mix in the mayo, cheese and green onions so everything is well coated. Cover and place in the fridge at least six hours before you want to serve it. Overnight is best.


Easy peasy. Ha, that was funny. Peasy. Peas. Get it? Never mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment