Hello readers! I know I've been gone for over month (has it really been that long?), but I am back and ready to blog and give you tons of great recipes to try (and ones I am sure you will love as much as I do)! But, before I get back into the swing of things and dazzling you with photos and laughter of yummy recipes, I want to fill you in on a recent challenge I've decided to take on.
This time of year brings lent. Most of the people I know are deciding what they are going to give up and go without for the next 40 days. I am not catholic, but have always contemplated, "should I give something up?". As the years have gone by, I never did it, but for some reason, this year, I have decided to challenge myself and step it up a notch. I thought about all of the things I could give up and boy was it hard to come up with something that was a challenge, but not completely crazy. Well, what I am about to tell you might seem crazy (especially seeing how much I love it), but I know I can be strong and make it through the next 40 days. Before I go telling you what I decided to give up, let me tell you about the few other things that passed through my mind while I was trying to decide:
- Caffeine - That wouldn't work considering I don't drink it any more. I stopped drinking coffee almost a year ago and stopped having my monthly diet pepsi last month. I'm trying to drink mostly water and staying away from artificial sweeteners as much as possible. It's not easy, but I'm determined to keep with it.
- Wine - Ya, right. I'm sure I could give it up for a month, but maybe next year.
- Facebook - Technology is so addicting, so this one would be really really hard.
- Television - I am addicted to a couple of shows (my boyfriend will probably hate my for admitting this on my blog, but my guilty pleasure is Jersey Shore - sorry Ryan!) and look forward to watching them after a long work week. That and I can't miss Top Chef and 2 Broke Girls.
- Blogging - Since I already took a month off, I don't think I should take another month off. Most of my readers are already sad I've been gone this long!
A few other things came to mind, but nothing seemed quite right. That is until it was staring me right in the face - CHOCOLATE!
Yes, you are hearing it right. I've decided to give up anything and everything chocolate for 40 days and 40 nights. I know I am crazy, but seeing as how much I love chocolate and love to bake with it, this is going to be a real test of my willpower and strength. I try not to eat too much chocolate so my booty won't grow, but if you put a piece of yummy chocolate cake in front of me or a big warm chocolate chip cookie, it's really hard for me to walk away. I mean, let's be real here. Who wouldn't have a hard time with that, right?
I'm sure you'll hear my ranting and raving over the next several weeks about my chocolate withdrawals (Ryan - sorry ahead of time if I get cranky!), but I am feeling good about this choice and know I can stick with it. The best part of this is knowing at the the end, it will be my birthday, and I will be eating a BIG piece of chocolate cake. Or chocolate cheesecake. Or a big ooey gooey brownie. That I can promise you. For now, I am off to enjoy my last night of being able to have chocolate by eating a piece of Ryan's left over chocolate birthday cake. Go big or go home, right?
Now, here is my question to you - what would you be willing to give up?