Sunday, August 17, 2014

Baked Peach Almond Oatmeal

I am sorry I have been away from blogging for so long, but things have been busy the past month. Too busy. And school hasn't even started yet - yikes! We went on on a wild road trip vacation through Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana. Our dog got a horrible ear infection. I had my third blogaversary. I got a promotion at work. And, we started working on our bathroom remodel again. see, I told you I was busy. I wasn't ignoring you, promise! Nevertheless, just because things have been busy doesn't mean I haven't been trying out new recipes. I won't dare tell you how many times I've run the dishwasher today. That just tells you how many dishes I've been using and how much of a mess I have been making in the kitchen.

Last week, someone left a bag of fresh and homegrown peaches in the break room at work. I walked by once and didn't grab any. I wasn't sure if I would have time to use them and wasn't sure what I would make. It took me walking by those things two more times before I grabbed a handful. And then I went back again and again. The last time, I just took the whole bag. I am pretty sure the people in the conference room next to the break room thought I was crazy. The peaches smelled so wonderful and I knew I just had to take them.

To be honest, those peaches sat on my counter at home for a few days before I started smelling them when I walked through the front door. It was at that point that I knew I needed to use them before they started molding. One already was and it was only a matter of time before they all started getting funky. Funky peaches are bad peaches. Luckily, I had enough peaches to make two dishes - peach cobbler, which is a must make, and baked oatmeal. Baked peach almond oatmeal to be exact.

I love baked oatmeal. I don't make it all the time, but there are so many flavor combinations you can do. Even better, you can make it ahead of time and even freeze it for another time. Plus, it lasts for days in the fridge for a quick grab and go breakfast. That is if it even lasts that long. It doesn't around here, that's for sure. I've made several other baked oatmeal varieties before, but nothing with peaches. Nor with almond extract. Some may say I have a mild obsession with almond extract. Or was that amaretto? Okay, I love both. This oatmeal is super simple to throw together and will some become a breakfast favorite with your family. I made mind the night before, but you can make your's as soon as you want it. My only word of advice is that if you make your oatmeal ahead of time, add a splash of milk when you warm it up. It makes the oatmeal a little extra special. When life hands you peaches, make this baked oatmeal!


super yummy ingredients

dry ingredients. can you smell that cinnamon?

wet ingredients

sprinkle the peaches all over the bottom

all  baked and ready to enjoy!

Baked Peach Almond Oatmeal (Two Peas and their Pod)


2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped almonds
2 cups Almond Breeze Vanilla Unsweetened Almond Milk (or any milk you like)
1 large egg
3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly (or melted and cooled butter)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 cups chopped peaches
Peach slices for the top, optional
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  and spray an 8x8 square baking dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and almonds. In another medium bowl, whisk together the almond milk, egg, coconut oil, vanilla, and almond extract. Arrange the chopped peaches on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Pour the oat mixture evenly over the peaches. Pour the almond milk mixture over the oats. Gently shake the baking dish to make sure the milk covers the oats evenly. If desired, add a few sliced peaches to the top of the oatmeal. 
Bake for 40 minutes, until the top is golden and oatmeal is set. Let cool for 5 minutes and serve warm.
Enjoy!

Peaches make everything better.

No comments:

Post a Comment