Monday, December 21, 2015

Honey Rosemary Roasted Walnuts

I know you all have been wondering where the heck I have been hiding, but let's just say that between grad school, getting married and work that I have not had much time to blog. Or sleep. Or see my husband. I promise to go into all the wonderful details of our wedding soon (I know you want to here all about!), but today is all about walnuts. Yummy, buttery, nutty walnuts. 

I recently bought a HUGE bag of walnuts and although I usually go through them in a heartbeat with all my holiday baking, I wanted to do something different this year. I wasn't sure how, but I wanted to do something a bit more savory. I love my sweet treats, but you have to have something salty and savory to balance it all out. As my husband would say, it's all about moderation. Maybe that was more about eating the treats. Oops. Nevertheless, these honey rosemary roasted walnuts are a must make and they couldn't be simpler. Let me tell you all about them.

All you need is walnuts, olive oil, a little cayenne pepper (just a pinch), honey, rosemary (fresh or dried) and salt and pepper. I ended up using dried rosemary because that's what I had in my pantry. And to be honest, I had already gone to two stores looking for fresh and both were out. Ugh. I was not about to go to a third when I knew I had dried. Also, if you are worried about the the cayenne, it is just a bit. I was worried it might be too much of a kick in the nuts, but you barely noticed it was there. Promise. Once you have gathered all your ingredients, you literally mix everything together and then bake in the oven for about 15 minutes. Your home will fill up with the most heavenly aroma while the nuts bake. A little savory. A little sweet. A lot of deliciousness. 

Once the nuts come out of the oven, you will want them to cool before you enjoy them. Hot nuts are not good nuts because they will burn your tongue. That's not fun. Once the nuts are cooled, you can bag them up for gift giving, enjoy them as a snack or bring them to your next dinner or party for a yummy little appetizer. They are so delicious and are guaranteed to be gobbled up in a jiffy - go nuts!


feeling nutty?

Honey Rosemary Roasted Walnuts (Alaska from Scratch)

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon dried rosemary (or 2 tablespoons of fresh, minced)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups walnut halves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, honey, rosemary, cayenne, pepper and salt. Add the walnuts in to a larger mixing bowl (enough to hold the nuts) and then pour over the oil and spice mixture. Mix enough to coat all the nuts well.

Line a cookie sheet with non-stick foil (if you use regular foil, make sure to spray it with non-stick spray such as Pam). Then spread the walnut mixture in a single later. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the nuts are hot, golden brown and your home is filled with the delicious scent of honey and rosemary.

Serve the nuts warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!


If you allergic to walnuts, pecans, almonds or cashews can be substituted. This recipe also doubles and triples really well!


No comments:

Post a Comment