Monday, August 15, 2011

Breakfast Quinoa - Part Two

Since the first breakfast quinoa recipe was so delicious, I thought I'd try to mix up the flavors (so I don't get bored with eating the same flavors for a week straight) and try a new spin on the hearty breakfast grain. There are not a whole lot of recipes out there for breakfast or sweeter quinoa, so it look me awhile to find one that was different then the cinnamony apple one I previously made (most of the recipes I found looked scrumptious, but were all savory and more for lunch or dinner). I ended up finding a blog where this woman decided to take a monthly vegan challenge (I'm thinking I should try this - who wants to join me?) and she had a breakfast quinoa recipe that sounded fabulous. I already had everything in the fridge and pantry, so why not, right?

It has orange zest, orange juice, almond milk, bananas and more! If that doesn't scream breakfast, then I don't know what does! At first it sounded a little strange adding smashed bananas with a little bit of maple syrup, but it was surprisingly tasty and kind of had the flavor of an Orange Julius. Does anyone remember that place? Do they even still have them in malls? Mmm Orange Julius. It has a creamy flavor and you can definitely taste the bananas. Plus, you can't even taste the maple syrup. It just adds a nice subtle sweetness in the background. And the crunch of the almonds, yum! If you like a citrus punch in the morning, this one is for you!


good morning!

zesty zest zest swimming around

bananas mashed and ready to swirl into the cooked quinoa

boiling oj, milk and quinoa. time to cover with a lid.

all packed up and ready to go for a grab and go breakfast.


Breakfast Quinoa (slightly altered from happyhealthymama.com)

Serves 3-4

1 cup quinoa
1 1/2 cups milk (I used light vanilla soy, but you can use whatever milk you have on hand)
1/2 cup orange juice
zest from one orange
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
generous pinch nutmeg
2 bananas, mashed
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds (or nut of your choice)

In a small sauce pan, bring the milk, orange juice, and orange zest to a boil.  Stir in the vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and quinoa.  Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes or until done and all liquid has been absorbed.  In a small bowl, mash your banana.  Stir in the maple syrup and set aside. Remove quinoa from heat and stir in banana/maple syrup mixture.  Sprinkle with almonds and serve.




After all is said and done, this breakfast quinoa is another winner. But, if I had to choose between this one or http://stracciatellabella.blogspot.com/2011/07/breakfast-edition-hot-apple-quinoa.html, I would probably have to go with the latter. Although, the orange zest brings such a summery brightness. Oooh, so hard to choose! I'm just a lover of apples and cinnamony goodness, so I think I have to go with that one. It reminds me of fall and curling up with a blanket and a good book on a cold morning.  Try them both and see which one you like better. I bet you'll have just as hard of a time choosing which one you'd like to have as your favorite!



No comments:

Post a Comment