Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Turkey Meatloaf Cupcakes with Mashed Potato Frosting

First, let me begin. This is not a super strange cupcake recipe. This is a play on cupcakes and frosting.

Recently, I was craving meatloaf. I am not sure why considering, I HATE meatloaf. I don't know what it is about meatloaf that turns me off, but it's just something I never really liked. Maybe it's the fact that you have to use your hands to mix up the meat and eggs. Or maybe it's just the fact that it's a huge loaf of meat. Then again, I do like hamburgers and that's more or less like a mini meatloaf - kind of. Nevertheless, I had to fill my craving and found the perfect recipe. Not only is is easy, its made with lean ground turkey. That and it's super cute and it's a weight watcher recipe. Even better!

Off to the store I went to hunt down ground turkey since I had everything else I needed (onions, ketchup, etc). Oh my goodness, when did ground turkey get so expensive? The first pound I bought was about $5 total, but then I had to go out and get more because I left it out and forgot to put it in the fridge before all my doctors appointments that day. OOPS. The next store I ran to had it for almost $7! What a rip. I don't ever remember it being that expensive. Next time I go to Costco, I am picking up a pack of ground turkey. I can't remember the price on it, but I do remember it was a super good deal. You get four one pound packs, maybe even five. They keep in the freezer really well for future use. All you have to do it pop one out the night before and it's good to go in the morning for what ever you're planning to make.

After trying this recipe, I must admit, it may have changed my outlook on meatloaf. Not only does it taste super good, but it makes 12 "cupcakes" quick and they make for great leftovers the next day or for lunch (which I did!). They reheat quick, but you must remember to take off the foil liners or they will go kaboom in the microwave. Trust me, you don't want that happening. If you like meatloaf and want to try a fun twist on your favorite recipe, give these a whirl. I promise you won't regret it.

potato frosting ingredients!

cut up potatoes ready for boiling!

meatloaf ingredients (and ready to go "frosting"!)

everybody into the pool!

ready to be baked

baked, frosted and ready to eat!   

Turkey Meatloaf Cupcakes with Mashed Potato Frosting (www.skinnytaste.com)


For the Meatloaf Cupcakes:

1.3 lb 93% lean ground turkey
1 cup grated zucchini, all moisture squeezed dry with paper towel
2 tbsp onion, minced
1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1/4 cup ketchup
1 egg
1 tsp kosher salt

1-2 garlic cloves, chopped

For the Mashed Potato "Frosting":

1 lb (about 2 medium) Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed

4 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved
2 tbsp fat free sour cream
2 tbsp fat free chicken broth
1 tbsp skim milk
1/2 tbsp light butter
kosher salt to taste
dash of fresh ground pepper
2 tbsp fresh thyme

Put the potatoes and garlic in a large pot with salt and enough water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and return potatoes and garlic to pan. Add sour cream and remaining ingredients. Using a masher or blender, mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°. Line a muffin tin with foil liners.

In a large bowl, mix the turkey, zucchini, onion, breadcrumbs, ketchup, egg, and salt. Place meatloaf mixture into muffin tins filling them to the top, making sure they are flat at the top. Bake uncovered for 18-20 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from tins and place onto a baking dish. Pipe the "frosting" onto the meatloaf cupcakes and serve.



 The best part of all, two of these scrumptious cupcakes come in at just about 245 calories (yes, that is for two of them!) and about 18 grams of protein. Now that is my kind of meal! Of course you can play around with the flavors too. If you like more garlic, add more. If you like celery in your meatloaf, feel free to add that too. Same thing goes for the frosting. If you like red potatoes instead of yukons, use those. If you don't like thyme, add a herb you do. My guess is that this would also be a real winner with kids too and it has hidden added veggies in the mix. There is no way anyone would know and it's a great way to get more veggies in. At least I know I'm looking for more ways to get veggies in on a daily basis.

3 comments:

  1. I'd love to try these as an Italian "braciola" instead of American-style meat loaf, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Far, completely flaming OUT! Slop one onto my plate and pour some gravy on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe you can get barby to make you these? :)

    ReplyDelete