Monday, May 14, 2012

Kate's Smoothie

Let me first say that this post is dedicate to the one and only Kate. Kate and I went to high school together (Doesn't it seem like so long ago? It's almost been 10 years. It seems like just yesterday though!) and this year she has achieved something that not many people can say they have - she has lost over 110 pounds (and still going!) and has run a half marathon. In fact, she has turned into quite the running fiend. If only someday I will be able to run with her - a girl can dream, right? In fact, she has recently inspired me to step up my workouts and start training to actually run a full 5k without stopping.  Maybe someday I'll be able to do a half. Someday. She is truly an inspiration and I am so proud of her! Losing over 100 pounds is not an easy feat and I speak from experience. I lost about the same amount during my first year of college and let me say, life has not been the same. In a good way of course. It's not easy by any means, but boy does it feel good. I bet Kate would totally agree. Girl, you are simply amazing!

Now, onto the smoothie! That's what you came here for, right? This smoothie is a Kate original. She posted this on Facebook a few weeks ago and I could not stop thinking about it. I am always looking for ways to get more veggies and fruit into my diet and let me just say, this smoothie does just that. It's loaded with tons of fruit and a whole bag of spinach. I know what you are thinking - spinach in a smoothie? Yes. I am serious and it is seriously delish. I wouldn't lie to you. I promise. Plus, you won't even really know it's in there. You taste all the sweet fruit, but get the added vitamins and fiber from the spinach. Just promise me you'll try it. At least it's not as green as the green monster!

Of course you can switch up the flavors, but Kate's includes blueberries (sorry Dean and Ryan!), peaches, strawberries, peaches, banana, juice of a lemon, juice of an orange, a whole bag of spinach and if you wish, protein powder. How good does that sound? This combination of fruit is super yummy and it makes about 5 or 6 servings. My blender was so full and working so hard to mix everything up that at one point, I thought it might start smoking. There is so much goodness in this smoothie! As per Kate's advice, I had a serving (about 1 cup) for dinner and then put the rest in tupperware and placed in the freezer for later in the week. The perfect grab and go breakfast or lunch (once it defrosted of course!). I used vanilla soy protein powder from Trader Joes and with that addition and dividing the smoothie five ways, it came about to about 250 calories a serving. Great calorie count for all that delicious fruit and spinach that will keep you full and totally satisfied!


you can use soy or whey pro pow and fresh or frozen fruit. I liked a combo of both fresh and frozen fruit!

just enough room for the fruit!

my blender needed a few stops to mix things up so that it would blend properly. hopefully your blender is better than mine.

adding in the spinach and and pro pow! look how full the blender is.

bonus photo - my new running shoes. pink shoes make me run faster. it's been proven.

Kate's Smoothie 

1.5 cups blueberries
2 cups strawberries, halved or quartered
2 cups peaches, sliced
1 banana, sliced
4 scoops protein (optional, but if you have it use it. Great to keep you full and going all morning or afternoon)
Juice from 1 large lemon
Juice from 1 large orange
Almost an entire bag of fresh spinach 

Blend all ingredients until smooth (this may take a few stops to mix things up if you blender is having a hard time). 

Makes 5-6 meals. Drink right away and/or or divide it evenly amongst tupperware and put it in the freezer. 


Kate's Tip - Take one out in the am, bring it to work, keep it refrigerated, and by lunch time, it's ready to eat! Usually with a spoon, as if it's sorbet! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment