Monday, August 6, 2012

Tomato & Avocado Salad

This salad is simple, fresh and is a great use of homegrown or farm fresh tomatoes. My mom and I were craving a fresh and healthy dinner a couple of weeks ago and this was just something that came to mind at the last minute. I am glad it did though. It was the perfect side dish to accompany our light crab cakes from Whole Foods. Have you ever had them? If not, you are missing out. They are a bit pricy (I think they even went up a bit since I last bought them), but totally worth the $7 a crab cake. Bonus  - they are about 300 calories each and cooking them at home limits the oil that most restaurants use to fry them in! Check them out.

Enough about crabby cakes. Back to tomato and avocado. I found the best local tomatoes at a little farm stand on the way to Davis, CA and have been obsessed with them ever since. They come in a pack of three or four for under $2. Total bargain and if you ask me, they are almost as good as the muy expensive heirlooms at Whole Foods. Sorry Whole Foods. These farm stand tomatoes actually taste like tomatoes! You know how some tomatoes don't taste like anything? Ya, those are not very good. Every time I drive by the little fruit and veggie stand, I have to stop and get some. They are good in salad, good for sandwiches, and good straight up with a little salt and pepper. With a few of these sitting on the counter and with avocados staring at me in the face, I knew I had to make something. I first thought caprese salad (tomato, mozzarella cheese and basil), but that wouldn't work. I wanted avocado too. Then I though, why not a layered salad with salt and pepper and fresh lemon.  Sounds delish, right? Then, I rummaged through the fridge and found some fresh crumbled goat cheese and said, why not. I put goat cheese on my normal salads, why not this one. If you don't like it, you can leave it off. You should really try it though. It just adds that little something something.


so fresh, so delicious!
Tomato & Avocado Salad 

Feeds about 3 people

2 medium tomatoes, sliced
1 avocado (ripe), slice
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese

Slice tomato and avocado in about the same thickness. Layer tomato, avocado, tomato, and avocado until no slices remain. Top with lemon juice and then salt and pepper to taste. Add goat cheese on top and enjoy!


If you are really anti goat cheese, try some fresh grated parmesan. I bet that would be great too!

No comments:

Post a Comment