Saturday, February 23, 2013

How To: The Perfect Hard Boiled Egg

Happy Saturday morning everyone! I'll try to keep this short and sweet, but you never know what may happen. Sometimes I just get carried away and before you know it, I've written an essay. How come wiring never came this easy while I was in college? But I digress. Now, who loves hard boiled eggs? Now, who doesn't love hard boiled eggs because they always seem to come out over cooked with that green and grey ring around the yolk? I do! I do! Fear the hard boiled egg no more because I have a technique that will give you the perfect hard boiled eggs just about every single time. No joke. Wait, no yolk. I thought it was funny.

Let me first start off with the eggs. You can use whatever eggs you like, organic, brown, extra large, free range. Whatever you have and whatever you like will work just fine. Personally, I have to come to love love love fresh from the farm eggs. One of my coworkers raises chickens and brings in eggs a couple of times a month for free! If he offers them to me, of course I always say yes because there is just something about those fresh eggs. They truly taste like eggs. If that makes any sense at all. The yolks are so rich and so so orangy yellow. I can't even really describe them other than they are delicious. If you ever get your hands on some fresh from the farm eggs, pretty please try them out. You won't regret it.

Okay, back to the perfect hard boiled egg. I get on these kicks of having hard boiled eggs for breakfast or for a snack when I get home from work. They are tasty with a little salt and pepper and pack a punch of protein that I need to keep my tummy full and happy. I've always just put the eggs in a pot and let them simmer for 25 minutes or so. They typically turn out fine, but there is always one that seems to be under or over cooked. Why that is, I don't know. It just is. So, I began researching how to cook the perfect hard boiled egg. Book after book and website after website all said the same darn thing. I couldn't believe it. Want to know how to do it? Here you go:

Put put the eggs in an even later in the bottom of your pot. Then cover with water giving your eggs an extra inch or two of water. Add a teaspoon of salt as this will help prevent cracking and make your eggs easier to peel (bonus!). Turn on the heat and bring the eggs to a simmer. Once they are simmering, remove the pot from the heat, cover and turn off the stove. Let the eggs sit, covered, for 10-12 minutes. At the 10 minute mark you can check and egg to make sure it's done. If it's not, let the remaining eggs sit in the hot water, covered, for the rest of the time. Once the eggs are ready, remove them from the water and place in an ice bath to cool. Once they are cooled slightly you can peel and enjoy or store them in the fridge for up to five days or so. Just be careful, the eggs will release their eggy smell, so make sure to put them in a container with a lid. Stinky!

See, how easy was that? Super easy. Here are a few pictures of the process to get your taste buds going!


start with eggs in the pan

bring to a simmer
cover with lid and turn off the heat

after 10-12 minutes, cool in an ice bath

perfectly cooked hard boiled egg!


Now what are you waiting for. Go boil some eggs!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment