Monday, November 7, 2011

Cookie Dough Hummus

I know what you are thinking - she's crazy. Cookie dough hummus? No I am not kidding. I am dead serious. 

My sister came across this recipe about a month ago and told me how good it was. I must admit, at first, I was not sure how chickpeas and a few other ingredients would taste like cookie dough, but boy was I wrong. I guess I should have known when my sister said she almost ate the whole recipe in one sitting. I knew it had to be good! I had everything I needed to make it (chickpeas, peanut butter, baking powder and a few others), so I decided to whip it up one night for a quick and easy dessert. Let me tell you, IT WAS SO GOOD. Of course it's not going to be just like cookie dough, but for what was in it, it was pretty darn close. If you love hummus as much as I do, pretty pretty please promise me you will try this. I promise you won't regret it. I think my sister would agree too.  

This is best served with apple slices, at least that is how I ate it. I bet even honey graham crackers would be great too. Or you can just eat it with a spoon. I would have been tempted to do that if I didn't have any apples. Your fingers would work well for this too. Just don't let anyone see you do that!

I used a bit of agave nectar to sweeten mine, but you can use brown sugar instead

rinsed and draining those chickpeas!

everybody into the mini chop!

blend baby blend

stir in chocolate chips after all smooth

serves with apples!

Cookie Dough Hummus (adapted from chocolatecoveredkatie.com)

1 1/2 cups chickpeas (1 can, drained) 
1/8 tsp plus 1/16 tsp salt
tiny bit over 1/8 tsp baking soda
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2-3 Tablespoons peanut butter (you can use any nut butter here)
up to 1/4 cup nondairy milk (Start with 1 T, and add more as needed)
1 Tablespoon Agave Nectar (or brown sugar)
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips

Add all ingredients (except for chocolate chips) to a blender or food processor, and blend until very smooth. Then mix in the chocolate chips and serve!


If you are lucky, maybe I will show you how to make the hummus that tastes like snickerdoodles. Yes, a hummus that tastes like snickerdoodles. Who would have ever though, right?



2 comments:

  1. Hi Christina! Thank you so much for the delicious cookies!! I've been eating them the last couple days now. So good. Rich, crunchy and chocolatey! :) I love hummus, but never have heard of sweeter versions like this...I'm so making it. Thanks for the cookies and great recipe ideas too!

    ReplyDelete