Sunday, April 15, 2012

Maple Pecan Scones

If you didn't know this already, I love maple. I may have a mild obsession with it. If you were to take me to a donut shop, I'd be the crazy lady who picks the maple bar over the the chocolate donut or the one filled with nutella. Ryan got one filled with nutella not too long ago when I was on the whole no chocolate for lent thing. Boy was it hard to not want to totally lick his donut. I do love chocolate, but maple is where my heart is. Sorry. My little tiny donut hole was good, but I was dreaming that it was a big old maple bar the whole time I ate it. Well, the two bites it took to eat it.

I'm off the donut kick now. Back to scones. When I received my new Pioneer Woman cookbooks in the mail, I quickly browsed through them, but immediately stopped on the page with these maple scones. It must have been the word maple that caught my eye. Have I mentioned how much I love maple? Ha. The scones looked easy to make and I already had everything in the pantry and fridge I needed to make these bad boys. This recipe called for maple extract. Did you even know there was such a thing? I sure didn't. I guess I should have known better since there is an extract for most things - even root beer. I wasn't about to go trying to hunt down maple extract, so I decided to just use maple syrup. If you have maple extract, go for it, but I am willing to bet you don't. Maple syrup will work just fine.

These maple pecan scones turned out light, fluffy and had that perfect scone texture. A little crumby, but not dry at all. Some scones can be really dry. No one likes a dry scone! Just remember - when you are rolling the dough, do not over work it. It will make your scones tough! That's a no no. These scones were the perfect complement to the captains and I's omelets (I'll show you how to make them soon. I promise, omelets aren't scary!), but be warned, they are huge scones. I'd say two people could share one. Or, if you are really hungry, or a maple freak like I am, you may eat one to yourself. No, I didn't eat a whole one. I wish I had though. I brought the left overs to work the next day (this is what I usually do so I don't keep them at home and eat them all) and one of my coworkers said this was the best scone she'd ever had. If that doesn't convince you to go make these, I don't know what will. Brew up a pot of your favorite coffee or tea and sit down with one of these scones. You won't regret it.

I accidentally deleted the ingredient picture. oops.

cubed, cold butter. must be really cold!

cutting in the butter. you can also do this with a hand or stand mixer. no need to go buying a pastry cutter just for this.

cut until it resembles pea size crumbs

add in wet ingredients

roll out into a circle

cut into eight pieces

post bake

frosted. mmm!

Maple Pecan Scones (The Pioneer Woman)

3 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
5 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks butter, chilled
¼  cup pecans, plus more for sprinkling
1 large egg
¾ cup heavy cream

Maple Icing
1 lb. powdered sugar
¼ cup milk
4 tablespoons butter, melted
Splash of strongly brewed coffee
Dash of salt
5 tablespoons (or more or less) maple syrup

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Cut the cold butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Finely chop the pecans and stir into the flour mixture.  Mix the egg & cream together and stir into the flour mixture until just combined. Turn the mixture onto a cutting board and push it together into a large ball. Don’t knead too much—only until it sticks together. Gently roll the dough into a 10-inch circle and cut the round into eighths.

Transfer your wedges to a baking sheet that has been covered in parchment paper or lightly sprayed and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Check at 18 minutes just to be safe. Your oven may run hot. Allow the scones to cool completely.

Meanwhile, mix your glaze together and pour generously over each scone. Sprinkle with chopped pecans!


This scone is a great base to swap out the maple and pecans and say add in orange zest in place of the nuts and orange juice in place of the maple in the frosting. Just think of the possibilities of combinations you can try!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment