Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pumpkin Scones With Cranberry Butter

These are hands down the BEST SCONES EVER. I am not just saying this because this is my mom's recipe. I am saying this because they are literally the best scones ever. I brought these into the office and one of my coworkers told me these were the best they ever had. Even one of my mom's coworkers gets his own batch of these when she brings them to her office because he loves them so much. I think he may even start asking her about these in August. No joke! Do you believe me now that these are the best ever? Well, if you don't, I'm sorry. You may not want to keep reading because I might make you want to try these and you may change your mind. Don't say I didn't warn you.

My mom always makes these right around the Thanksgiving holiday. It's always the best to go over to my parents after my sister and I finish the Run to Feed the Hungry Thanksgiving morning and come home to freshly baked scones. It's seriously the best post race snack. Who needs bananas and Gatorade. Give me a scone! Since I love these scones so much, I started bringing these into the office to share with my lovely coworkers. I think they may love them as much as I do and now expect them around the holidays. I don't blame them though. These scones are pumpkiny (but not too much), cinnamony and moist. Most scones you get at the store or even make at home are dry and crumbly. These are melt in your mouth delicious. And if the scones weren't enough, the butter will just put it over the top. This butter is sweet and tangy and is the perfect compliment to the scones. One of my co-workers thought this was frosting and put a ton of if on his scone. You should have seen his face when I told him it was butter. Classic. I'm pretty sure he ate it anyways. He may have even had two. They are that addicting. Especially right out of the oven.

These scones are not just for the holidays though. Pumpkin is great year round! Even better, pumpkin is low in calories, has lots of fiber and is loaded with vitamin A. With all the great things pumpkin has to offer, I will warn you about the butter though. After you add in the powdered sugar and dried cranberries, you won't think it's butter anymore. I hate to admit this, but you can eat a spoonful and not even think it's butter. I don't advise doing that, but you probably will anyways now that I told you about that. I really want a scone now. I think I may even have a can of pumpkin in my pantry. Uh oh, this could be trouble...

ingredients

adding in the cold, cubed butter

adding in the wet ingredients. see the pumpkin swirl?

form dough into a circle

cut into 12 wedges
place on baking sheet
butter ingredients - butter, pow sugar, dried cranberries


chopping the dried cranberries!


all combined - so good!

packaged up and ready to deliver to work!


Pumpkin Scones with Cranberry Butter  

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup cold, cubed butter
1 egg
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup milk

Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl.  Cut in butter with a pastry blender (or using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment) till mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Combine egg, pumpkin, and milk in another bowl.  Add egg mixture all at once to dry mixture.  Stir just till moistened. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface.  Quickly knead dough by folding and pressing gently for 10 to 12 strokes or till nearly smooth.  Pat dough into an 8-inch circle.  Cut into 12 wedges.

Place wedges 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.  If desired, brush tops with additional milk.  Bake in a 400o oven for 12 to 15 minutes or till golden.  Remove scones from baking sheet, and cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.  Serve warm with Berry Butter.  Makes 12

Berry Butter:  Finely chop 5 tablespoons of dried cranberries (more if you like it more berry-y) using a mini food processor or knife. In a separate bowl, stir together 1/2 cup of room temperature butter and 5 tablespoons powdered sugar (more if you like it sweeter). Once the sugar and butter are combined, add in chopped cranberries. Cover and let chill at least 1 hour before serving to allow flavors to blend.  

Once you start making these, I am willing to bet that you will become addicted as much as I am. There is just something about these scones that can't make you just eat one.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment