Friday, March 15, 2013

Homemade Baileys

Yes, I said it. Homemade Baileys. Rich, creamy, homemade Baileys! To be honest, I didn't think this could be done, but who was I to second guess such a thing, especially after I didn't think you could make homemade amaretto. And that turned out just as good, if not better than I thought! So, I decided to take on this Irish cream challenge and see if I could make this taste like the real deal. Plus, who doesn't love Baileys!

Since St. Patrick's day is just around the corner and I wanted to experiment with some non-baking recipes (did your jaw just drop to the ground?), I thought, what better than to make some homemade Baileys. Why not, right? It's perfect in coffee, on the rocks, or perfect in your favorite recipes. You can even add homemade Baileys to hot cocoa. That is the way the captain and I like to enjoy it. Perfect for those cold nights or just because. Do you really need a reason to have Baileys? I don't think so. Here are a couple of recipes you can use this creamy and delicious alcoholic beverage:

  1.  Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes
  2.  Irish Cream Cheesecake Tart with Jameson Caramel Sauce
  3.  Baileys Cookie Truffles- To be featured soon!

Let me just tell you, this homemade baileys was a cinch to make.  Maybe a little too easy. So easy, even I was skeptical it would taste just as good as the one you can buy in the store. Seriously. Here is what you will need. Are you ready?

Half and half, chocolate syrup, Irish Whiskey (I used Jameson), sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract and espresso powder (or instant coffee).

That's it! Just dump in a blender and mix for about 30 seconds so it gets nice and creamy and super delicious. I will tell you now, I was a little afraid to try this, but boy am I glad I did. It tasted just like baileys, but with a little more punch! The Jameson definitely shined through, but wasn't too overpowering. It was just perfect! Who knew homemade baileys would be be so easy? I am sure glad it was!

Not only is this homemade Irish cream great to drink straight up or use in your favorite recipe, it's also great to give as a gift to someone! Who wouldn't love a bottle of homemade Baileys? I know I wouldn't say no! Would you? The only downside is that it must stay refrigerated so it wouldn't be something you could ship to anyone. Unless you had a way of cold shipping it. Then that would work. The good news is that this homemade Irish goodness will last up to about two months in the fridge, so it does give you plenty of time to use it in any which way your heart desires. Regardless of how you chose to use this Baileys, you need to try this recipe out.  And what more perfect time than right before St. Patrick's' day. Once you make homemade Irish cream yourself, you may never go back to buying it from the store again!

oops, I really used half and half, not cream!


mmm, Jameson

espresso pow

rich an sweet condensed milk. a guy at work told me he ate a whole can of this once. talk about sugar high!

birds eye view

swirling Baileys!

Homemade Baileys (adapted from All Recpies)

1 cup Jamison Irish whiskey
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup (I used dark chocolate syrup)

1 cup half & half (you can also use heavy cream)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder


Place all ingredients in a blender and whip for about 30 seconds to allow the mmixture to get thick and creamy. Once it's all mixed, store in the fridge for up to two months. Just make sure to mix well before serving as some of the ingredients may settle to the bottom of the container. Enjoy!


Homemade Baileys...who knew!


No comments:

Post a Comment