Monday, March 18, 2013

No Bake Baileys Cookie Truffles

Need a way to use up all that extra Irish cheer that is called Baileys? Well, if you didn't drink it all yesterday, I have the perfect recipe for you - Baileys cookie truffles! How good do those sound? Pretty good if you ask me! Now, I've made regular chocolate truffles before, but never cookie truffles. To be honest, I never even knew such a thing existed. I've seen cake truffles, but never cookie truffles and I was intrigued. When I first saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it 1. Because both ovens in my house are out of commission at the moment (ahhh!) and 2. I had just made a ton of homemade Baileys and knew I wouldn't be able to drink it all. Wait. I know I could drink it all, but that would not be good for my figure!

Not being able to use an oven the past few days has been rough, but it has definitely shown me that you don't need an oven to make something super yummy. And let me just say, these cookie truffles are the perfect example. Well, that and corned beef cooked in the crock pot, but that's a whole other story and I don't want to get sidetracked. You know how I get. For these cookie truffles, you only need a few things and you may already have most of these in your panty already -  vanilla wafer cookies, powdered sugar, Baileys, corn syrup and chocolate for the coating and to give it that truffle look and feel. Five ingredients or less, how good is that! Now that's what I am talking about. Easy peasy super easy. Now say that five times fast!

These little cookie truffles take no time at all to whip up. All you need to do is grind up the vanilla wafer cookies into a fine crumb and then add in the powdered sugar, baileys and corn syrup. When I first made these, the mixture was a bit too moist to roll into balls, so I added more powdered sugar until I could roll the mixture with out it sticking all over my hands. Although it tasted good, I think the extra powdered sugar took away from some of that delicious Baileys punch! Not to worry you though - they were still delicious! So, my recommendation for you all is that if you need to add more to the dough to make it roll-able, add in a little bit more of powered sugar and crumbs, in even proportions, until it's the consistency you like. That goes for the Baileys too. If you think it needs more, without making the mixture too moist, go ahead. Just remember to do a little at a time otherwise you'll end up with a soggy mess that won't roll into balls and you'll only be able to eat with a spoon. Not that eating this with a spoon would be a bad thing, but then they wouldn't be cookie truffles. We want cookie truffles! Now that I think about it, these may also be good with chopped cherries and amaretto instead of the baileys. Oooh, and a white chocolate coating. I better write that one down for next time.


use a big bowl so you have plenty of room to mix everything up

crumbs + pow sugar

add in the wet ingredients
mix until the dough is workable

roll that dough!

dipping station
melted chocolate

sprinkled by leprechaun love




Baileys Cookie Truffles (adapted from Life, Love and Sugar)

Makes about 20 truffles
 
3 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
1 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup corn syrup
2/3 cup Baileys Irish Cream
12 oz dark chocolate, melted with 1-2 tablespoons shortening



Combine vanilla wafer crumbs and powdered sugar in a large bowl. Add corn syrup and irish cream and mix well. If mixture is too sticky, add additional crumbs and powdered sugar, in equal proportions, until the mixture can be rolled into balls. Once the "dough" is ready, make balls of about two heaping tablespoons each of the vanilla wafer mixture. Shape balls and set in fridge on a foiled lined cookie sheet to firm up for about 10-15 minutes.

While the cookie balls are cooking, melt the dark chocolate and shortening in a bowl in the microwave using short time increments of one minute on medium power until the chocolate is smooth and melted. Don't over cook or you chocolate will seize and you'll have to start all over! Once the chocolate is melted and ready, dip each ball into the chocolate and set on a piece of parchment paper to dry. When all the truffles have been coated sprinkle with sprinkles (or leave plain) and place in fridge (on the same foil lined cookie sheet) for about 30 minutes to firm up. Enjoy!




Cookie truffles may just be the next biggest thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment